Monday 18 June 2018

Parchayee: Hum TV drama





Hi y'all!

I have been quiet for a long time. Because of an internship life was busy. But I can assure you that I have been watching all the dramas I can get my hands on with sincerity. Be it Korean dramas like About Time, Suits, Why Secretary Kim or be it Parks and Recreation or Brooklynn nine nine, I have been on top of all the suggestions I had received. And this Eid I also caught up on Pakistani dramas best among them was Aangan; MAN DID I CRY A LOT. But after that marathon, I ended up watching the latest episode of Parchayee. It airs on Hum TV on Fridays and I watch every episode dutifully. The starting was fun. 

Girl (Pareeshay) loves guy (Saad). Girl has to live in the guy's house because her own dad is no more. She wants to become a doctor. And then she gets to know that he loves another woman. Heartbreak and all. But just imagine the level of 'identity-less ness' if that's even a word that she decides to abandon her goal of becoming a doctor because her sole reason to become a doctor was the guy (the guy is a doctor). 

The other girl whom the guy loves is shown to be a career-oriented, independent, ambitious woman which makes her evil, I MEAN WTF. Her character is written in a way that all these qualities are coupled with selfishness and negativity. Why don't they realise that a huge chunk of the population watches these dramas and this is just them further solidifying stereotypes? The stereotypes we need to get rid off in order to promote women empowerment.

Anyway, this other lady leaves the guy for a richer guy. And our protagonist is married off to the main lady because oh he is suffering from depression so Nah-uh lets not waste money on a psychologist lets just ruin a girls life because sati savitri biwian are non-commissioned psychologists. And the girl is so nice that she leaves her studies to be able to clean the house to win over her husband and mother in law (MIL). She forgets her own self to be able to polish her husband's shoes while he treats her with such contempt and hatred making me wonder why my friends our even surprised that I lean more toward Korean dramas.

She has completely gotten rid of her identity which is good. At least that's what the drama is implying. She doesn't get all dolled up because she has been told off by her husband. She cleans and dusts the house because her mother in law demands that. And with all of that, she is able to win them over. (TOTALLY NOT IMPLYING TO ALL THE GIRLS WATCHING THAT YOUR FEELINGS DONT MATTER, YOUR HUSBAND AND YOUR MIL DO). So one would imagine that the drama is done and dusted but oh no wait the girl expresses that she doesn't want to become a mother. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. HOW DARE SHE EVEN UTTER SUCH A WORD. She gets screamed at by her MIL. She gets scolded by her nana (maternal grandfather) who even says that he feels embarrassed in front of her MIL. And there I was listening to what they were saying. And with shock, I could not cry, laugh or do anything but decide on writing this blog post. I mean all she did was try to express her desire and the backlash she got MashAllah. 

The story of this drama is wrong on so many levels that I don't even have words. I mean all the actors in this drama are top notch but the story is making me cringe. 

If you are still not feeling what I am feeling then I should tell you about the other aspect of this story too. The mother of the girl gets remarried after becoming a widow and she is told to abandon her daughter otherwise she will be divorced and she complies because this drama states that it is okay to do whatever you want because you can blackmail women. She starts living with her new husband whose son is not able to accept her as the mother. A few months later when the mother is able to convince her husband to let the Pareeshay live with her and not in Saad's household, she is sexually harassed by the stepbrother. And Pareeshay's mother tells her to KEEP QUIET. 

And everything goes back to normal when the stepbrother realises he was wrong and says sorry and even expects her to treat him as a GODDAMN brother. 
CAN WE HAVE GOOD STORIES????
PLEASE???

I feel like all the actors played their roles well. What they were given they delivered. The problem is not the actors. It is the writers who are giving such stories and who need to up their game or let others come in the field to give some better content.


P.S Please excuse all the sentences in capslock. This post was a result of frustration. I had just watched this episode and was fuming and ended up writing it. 

1 comment:

  1. Buy hublot fake watch, best breitling replica, breitling mini for watch , breitling replikas, u-boat italo fontana, replica cartier, hublot replica watches, fake watches breitling, replica montblanc, come here buy replica TAG HEUER watches , rolex watches fake, watch replica breitling, replica tag heuer watches, cheapest fake rolex.

    ReplyDelete